Monday, April 18, 2011

The Betrayal of Maggie Blair (ARC)


Author: Elizabeth Laird
Genre
: Young Adult – Historical Fiction
Publication Date
: April 18th 2011
Publisher:
 Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
Age Range
: +12
Pages
: 435
Date Scoot Read:
April 2011
Source
: eGalley from NetGalley & Houghton Mifflin

Scoot's Rating
: 9-  Great read! Couldn’t put it down.

Synopsis (via Goodreads)
: In seventeenth-century Scotland, saying the wrong thing can lead to banishment—or worse. Accused of being a witch, sixteen-year-old Maggie Blair is sentenced to be hanged. She escapes, but instead of finding shelter with her principled, patriotic uncle, she brings disaster to his door. 
Betrayed by one of her own accusers, Maggie must try to save her uncle and his family from the king’s men, even if she has to risk her own life in the process.
Originally published in the UK, this book has a powerful blend of heart-stopping action and thought-provoking themes.

Scoot’s Review:
Young Maggie, growing up in seventeenth-century Scotland, has never had much shelter, food or education, but she has always had her old cantankerous Grannie.  Nevertheless, when tragedy befalls their small village and her Grannie is accused of being a witch it looks like Maggie is going to take the fall right along side her.  Unfair witch trials are just the start of Maggie’s dangerous and life altering journey as she struggles for safety and survival in a time of religious persecution.  This was an excellently written novel.  The historical elements felt real and easily placed the reader in the desired seventeenth-century time frame.  I am not a historian, but the setting felt historically accurate to me.  I enjoyed the perspective and the writing style.  Maggie was a strong lead character and you can see how she changes and grows throughout the novel.  The pace of the story was great and the plot had enough twists, turns and intense moments to keep you turning the pages.  I was happy with the overall story, but I wished it had kept going just a little longer.  Largely in part because I am such a romantic and I wanted to see how certain hints of the storyline would pan out; but overall the story had good closure, ended well and I really enjoyed it!


5 comments:

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I totally agree about the historical content; I felt so immersed in the time period despite being completely unfamiliar with the setting. Great review!

Molly W. (@mommylovespark) said...

I'm not usually a fan of historical fiction but you have me very intrigued. I'm adding this to my TBR list! Thank you!

Lisa Richards/alterlisa said...

First review I've read on this book. I love historical fiction on to the wishlist this goes.

(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Haven't read this one, but I'd really like to! Historical fiction is one of my favourite genres, I love reading about times long gone! Plus, this one is set in Scotland! On the wishlist it goes! :)

Laura H. said...

I was intrigued by this cover and now, after reading your review, I'm even more intrigued! I love historical fiction, especially when centered around witches. And throw in a little romance and you've got a winner as far as I'm concerned!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails