Monday, August 2, 2010

An Abundance of Katherines


Author: John Green
Genre: Teen Fiction
Publication Date: September 21, 2006
Age Range: Young Adult
Pages: 227
Date Scoot Read: July 2010
Source: Audiobook

Scoot's Rating:
9- Great read! Couldn’t put it down.
Synopsis (via Goodreads):
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact.

On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun - but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl.

Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself by Printz medalist John Green, acclaimed author of Looking for Alaska.
Scoot’s Review:
This book consistently had me smiling and laughing. That alone makes it worth the read. I really enjoyed it! The story was full of humor, random facts, and general teenage angst-awkwardness. You really felt for Colin and his overabundance of knowledge, but lack of common sense. I loved the way Colin’s mind worked. His mind jumped from fact to fact, and this reminded me so much of what my friends and family have agreed happens in my own ‘random’ mind. Perhaps that is why I really felt for his character. Colin is so literal and/or factual that it is difficult for him to understand people or deeper meanings, but he also has a huge sensitive side that just wants to be loved. Hassan and Lindsey were also relatable and realistic characters. I enjoyed the interaction between Colin and Hassan, and I liked Lindsey’s straightforward personality – at least when it comes to Colin. The story was entertaining and I enjoyed the history/flashback style of learning about the ‘Katherines’ in Colin’s life. This is a good story about being happy with yourself just the way you are. This was the first book I have read by John Green and I really enjoyed it, I will definitely have to check out his other novels.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails