Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Look Again

Author: Lisa Scottoline
Genre: Thriller
Publication Date: April 2009
Age Range: Adult
Pages:
352 pages
Date Scoot Read: July 2010
Source: Hardcover Library Book

Scoot's Rating: 6- Good read with small flaws.

Synopsis (via Goodreads): When reporter Ellen Gleeson gets a “Have You Seen This Child?” flyer in the mail, she almost throws it away. But something about it makes her look again, and her heart stops—the child in the photo is identical to her adopted son, Will. Her every instinct tells her to deny the similarity between the boys, because she knows her adoption was lawful. But she’s a journalist and won’t be able to stop thinking about the photo until she figures out the truth. And she can’t shake the question: if Will rightfully belongs to someone else, should she keep him or give him up? She investigates, uncovering clues no one was meant to discover, and when she digs too deep, she risks losing her own life—and that of the son she loves.

Lisa Scottoline breaks new ground in Look Again, a thriller that’s both heart-stopping and heart-breaking, and sure to have new fans and book clubs buzzing

Scoot’s Review:

I have mixed feelings on this novel. On one hand the story concept was very intriguing and often heart-wrenching, but overall I never connected with the main character. I felt disconnected from Ellen the entire novel; like she was a hollow person surrounded by characters with way more depth. Despite the lack of a solid main character the author was able to write well enough to make me almost burst into tears during one particularly distraught scene. The story is filled with small emotional pleas regarding children which would pull on even the Grinch’s heartstrings. I feel the little boy Will carried most of the moving scenes in this novel. The story was fast paced and had enough twists to keep you on your toes until almost the last page. The action was quick – but drastic. The small amount of romance in the book seemed like an afterthought the author threw in just to fill pages. I feel the story would have been improved by just leaving the romance out altogether. Overall I would recommend the book if you are looking for a quick read or something new.

2 comments:

Barnard Baker said...

Wow, this sounds interesting. I like how you said the emotions would "pull on even the Grinch's heartstrings."

Mona said...

I've always wanted to read one of Scottoline's books. I won LOOK AGAIN in a giveaway and bought SAVE ME at a library sale. I haven't cracked either yet.

I enjoy books where children are characters as I have a young daughter of my own.

I agree with you in that sometimes authors add gratuitous elements that detract from the main plot.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails