Monday, July 19, 2010

The Demon's Lexicon: The Demon's Lexicon Trilogy 1

Author: Sarah Rees Brennan
Genre: Teen Fiction - Fantasy
Publication Date: June 2nd 2009
Age Range: Young Adult
Pages:
336 pages
Date Scoot Read: Summer 2009 and May 2010
Source: Hardcover Library book, Audiobook


Scoot's Rating:
10 – Amazing! Loved it. Read it now!


Synopsis (via Goodreads): Nick and his brother, Alan, have spent their lives on the run from magic. Their father was murdered, and their mother was driven mad by magicians and the demons who give them power. The magicians are hunting the Ryves family for a charm that Nick's mother stole -- a charm that keeps her alive -- and they want it badly enough to kill again.

Danger draws even closer when a brother and sister come to the Ryves family for help. The boy wears a demon's mark, a sign of death that almost nothing can erase...and when Alan also gets marked by a demon, Nick is des-perate to save him. The only way to do that is to kill one of the magicians they have been hiding from for so long.

Ensnared in a deadly game of cat and mouse, Nick starts to suspect that his brother is telling him lie after lie about their past. As the magicians' Circle closes in on their family, Nick uncovers the secret that could destroy them all.

This is the Demon's Lexicon. Turn the page.


Scoot’s Review:

From the very first line this book captured my attention. I enjoyed it from start to finish! I loved the author’s writing style and all of the main characters quick-witted/occasionally snarky conversations. I loved what I feel is a very original story line, and although I could guess the ‘big twist’ at the end with few helpful hints along the way, it was an awesome read! I felt great compassion for Alan with his complex family and was intrigued by Nick. I loved how their brotherly relationship, as opposed to romantic relationships, was the real focus of the story. Alan loves Nick – and Nick loves Alan (even though he doesn’t seem to understand that himself) you can see it through all of their actions. Each brother instinctively acts to protect the other – above all else. Secondary characters Mae and Jamie also love and protect each other through their own demon and magician filled challenges. I am not a personal fan of Mae, but she gets a big *thumbsup* from me for sticking up and helping her little brother, Jamie. Throw in teen angst and thorny families - mix in demons and a dash of magicians - add some edge-of-your-seat action, and you have an excellent book! I highly recommend it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a ten! I read so many great things about this, I am trying to take a break from the fantasy world but I simply can't do it

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails