Friday, July 22, 2011

Scoot's Ramblings: Bears-in-books

Did you know that Winnie-the-Pooh will turn ninety this summer? I found this out via the article below in Shelf Awareness today:


"Want to feel old? Winnie-the-Pooh turns 90 on August 21. If you'd like to send him a birthday card, the New York Public Library will be celebrating his birthday at the Library's Children's Center at 42nd Street all month and is accepting cards on Pooh Bear's behalf. It's an appropriate destination, since Christopher Robin Milne's "original Winnie-the-Pooh doll set--including Winnie, of course!--is at the Library, on view in the Children's Center, in a special room surrounded by art of the 100 Acre Wood!"'

 


Big Book of the Berenstain BearsPaddingtonReading about Winnie's upcoming birthday got me thinking about bears-in-books from my childhood.  Winnie is an obvious fan favorite, but as I was growing up I spent a lot of time with other fictional bears. For instance, Paddington!! I love his politeness, overcoat and obsession with marmalade sandwiches.  Also, who could forget the Berenstain Bears?!  I am pretty sure their entire collection of books was in our home.  I didn't realize until I was older that the books were teaching me things like manners or responsibility as well as entertaining me. What is it about bears that make them such great book characters?  I think we just can't resist their cuddly cuteness factor.


What fictional bears did you love as a child?

Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails