Monday, April 23, 2012

World Book Night 2012!


Who is helping to give out half a million free books all across America on one day?   I am.




What? "World Book Night U.S. is an ambitious campaign to personally give out thousands of free, specially printed books across America. Volunteer book lovers like myself will help promote reading by going into our communities and handing out free copies of a book we love to new or light readers, reaching them especially in undeserved places – and even some fun spots. Volunteers will be picking up the books at a local bookstore or library in order to go out and share them in locations as diverse as VA hospitals, nursing homes, ballparks, mass transit, diners, and more."

Who? "From Kodiak, Alaska, to Key West, Florida, in 6,000 towns and cities across America, 25,000 volunteers will give away half a million free books on one day: April 23, 2012" 

Why April 23? "April 23 is the UNESCO International Day of the Book, chosen in honor of Shakespeare and Cervantes, who both died on April 23 1616. (It is also the anniversary of Shakespeare's birthday.) In the Catalan region of Spain, the day is celebrated by giving a book and a flower to a loved one. We also hope that it’s a lovely spring day perfect for spreading the love of reading in your community"

I was really excited to be chosen as a World Book Night GIVER! I now have 20 lovely copies of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card to hand out to reluctant, new or light readers.  So fun!  I recruited a couple of helpers and plan to give away the books in a variety of ways; two copies of the book hopped a plane to Philadelphia with my brother to be handed out on the flight. A handful more have come with me to be given out throughout my work day during breaks (doesn't the drive through attendant at In-N-Out want to read Ender's Game? If not, they should!), most of the books will be handed out tonight at a local venue, and two of the books will be given away right now - right here - on the blog!




Are you a reluctant, light or new reader and would like to read Ender's Game?  Believe me it is worth it!!  I read this prize winning sci-fi ages ago and have never stopped loving it.  The book has everything in it - advanced technology, sibling rivalry, action/violence, twisty plots, government conspiracy and more!  Still not sure? Check out all about Ender's Game HERE . Oh, and they are making it into a movie right now! Don't you want to know the story before you see it on the big screen? After all you know - the book is always better!


I wish I could give a copy away to all of you, but I only have two copies to give away to my "online community", so enter below for a chance to claim one of the copies for yourself!  If I don't have any entries by 8 pm tonight these copies will be given away at my local venue instead.





Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails