Thursday, August 4, 2011

Cascade: River of Time 2


Author: Lisa T. Bergren
Genre
: Young Adult – Historical Fiction/Fantasy
Publication Date
: June 1st 2011
Publisher:
 David C. Cook
Age Range
: Young Adult
Pages
:  399
Date Scoot Read:
July 2011
Source
: Nook eBook

Scoot's Rating
: 9-  Great read! Couldn’t put it down.

Synopsis (via Goodreads)
: Mom touched my underdress—a gown made six hundred years before—and her eyes widened as she rubbed the raw silk between thumb and forefinger. She turned and touched Lia’s gown. “Where did you get these clothes?”
Gabi knows she’s left her heart in the fourteenth century and she persuades Lia to help her to return, even though they know doing so will risk their very lives. When they arrive, weeks have passed and all of Siena longs to celebrate the heroines who turned the tide in the battle against Florence—while the Florentines will go to great lengths to see them dead.
But Marcello patiently awaits, and Gabi must decide if she’s willing to leave her family behind for good in order to give her heart to him forever.

Scoot’s Review:
In Cascade events pick up immediately at the end of Waterfall.  Gabi and Lia are safe and back in their own time again.  However, Gabi wants to return to Marcello and convinces Lia and her Mother to go back with her.  What was just a few minutes passing for them in the 21st century was months passing in the fourteenth century, and the girls return to find their reputation has grown beyond their control and that battle lines have been drawn.  Their lives are in constant danger and the Betarrini sisters are torn between love, family, and time. Lucky for me I didn’t read Waterfall until the Cascade was already published, so I didn’t have to wait long to find out what was going to happen next. I literally put Waterfall down and picked Cascade right up.  It was the perfect way to start a fabulous read.  I enjoyed Cascade just as much as I enjoyed Waterfall.  The characters continued to be strong and I liked that they developed more over time.  Since there was a time leap in the fourteenth century some big changes had been made while the sisters were gone and just like Gabi, my feelings were mixed on the outcomes.  Gabi is still the lead as we follow the story from her perspective, which I was grateful for because she is such a great character.  I enjoyed her personality and strength.  The danger seemed to be ramped up even more in this novel and the girls were in the middle of a lot of tough situations.  This novel tugged a lot on the heartstrings, bringing extremes from heartbreak to joy.   The writing and story flowed well and was fast paced; I was not ready for this book to end!  The plot had a few twists I wasn’t expecting and I am anxiously looking forward to reading the next book in the series, Torrent, which comes out in September.  If you enjoyed Waterfall you should definitely grab Cascade, you will not be disappointed!















Photobucket

2 comments:

Getting Your Read On said...

I loved this book too! Great review!

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I liked this even more than Waterfall-can't wait for Torrent!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails