Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Flip (ARC)

Author: Martyn Bedford
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: April 5, 2011
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Age Range: Young Adult
Pages: 272
Date Scoot Read: March 2011
Source: ARC from Book It Forward Tours

Scoot's Rating: 9- Great read! Couldn’t put it down.

Synopsis (via Goodreads): 
One December night, 14-year-old Alex goes to  bed. He wakes up to  find himself in the wrong bedroom, in an unfamiliar house, in a different part of the country, and it's the middle of June. Six months have disappeared overnight. The family at the breakfast table are total strangers. And when he looks in the mirror, another boy's face stares back at him.  A boy named Flip. Unless Alex finds out what's happened and how to get back to his own life,  he may be trapped forever inside a body that belongs to someone else.  Questions of identity, the will to survive, and what you're willing to sacrifice to be alive make this extraordinary book impossible to put down.

Scoot’s Review: 
Alex is running home from a friend's house one night to make it back before curfew and the next thing he remembers is waking up…  but everything is wrong… the room,  the people, and HIS body; and six months seems to have flown by.  Not sure what is going on Alex soon comes to realize that everyone believes him to be Philip - aka - Flip.  In an unknown body in an unknown place Alex's world is torn apart. Trying to find someone to believe his real identity is impossible and on top of that he is expected to get used to a body and friends that aren't his.  Fast paced and filled with mental twists and turns Flip is a brilliant read. The plot was often heart wrenching, but I really enjoyed it.  The characterization was great and I easily connected with Alex.  I think the reactions from those around him were realistic and the entire situation felt real.   The pace of the story was perfect and kept you questioning and wondering until the end.  I was happy with the ending, yet wanted the story to continue because I was not ready to say goodbye.  Flip was a great read that I recommend; make sure to read it when it comes out in April! 


Photobucket

3 comments:

Linda: Book Ninja said...

Sounds like an interesting read! I'll definitely add this to my TBR list. I wouldnt know what to do if I woke up in someone else's body. Probably freak out and be put in the loony-bin.

Brodie said...

Oooh great review! I have a copy of this but haven't read it yet. The body switch idea really intrigues me and after reading your praise on it, I'm definitely moving it up on my tbr pile!

Unknown said...

I loved the pace of FLIP. A lot of books are described as nail-biters, but this one earns the title.Bedford has the art of hooking a reader down pat.

If anyone wants to read the first 3 chapters of FLIP, you can find them here on Figment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails