Friday, March 30, 2012

Fracture by Megan Miranda

Fracture by Megan Miranda

Genre: Young Adult – Paranormal/Mystery
Publication Date: January 17, 2012
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Age Range: Young Adult
Pages: 262
Book Source: ARC from publisher for review
Synopsis (via Goodreads): Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine
-despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?
Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?
For fans of best-sellers like Before I Fall and If I Stay, this is a fascinating and heart-rending story about love and friendship and the fine line between life and death.

Scoot’s Review:
Fracture was an intense read.  It definitely had me glued to the pages - I couldn’t put it down because I just had to know what happened next.  However, Fracture is what I would consider a very angsty book – without enough happy to balance it out.  I don’t mind a little angst with my happy, but I felt like this book didn’t give me enough hope to make it worth all of the angst.  Regardless, it was very well written and as a reader you are quickly caught up in the emotions of the story.  The pace was great – with plenty of tension to keep you turning the pages.  The characters were well developed, but I found myself too frustrated with them to really enjoy them.  I believe Fracture is a stand alone novel and it completes its story arc well, but I can easily see where there could be another book written to follow up.  I enjoyed the bit of paranormal twist in the plot line and of course the Les Miserables references throughout the story (have I ever mentioned my absolute love of all things Les Mis!?!).  If you are up for a little angst and want a quick, consuming read be sure add Fracture to your reading list!


Notable Quotable:
“I wasn't athletic and had no desire to work out, so I watched what I ate. Correction: I ate what I wanted and felt guilty about it later.”
                           - Megan Miranda, Fracture


Grade:

 
Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails