Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Behemoth: Leviathan 2

Author: Scott Westerfeld, Artist Keith Thompson
Genre: Young-Adult - Steampunk
Publication Date: October 5, 2010
Age Range: Young Adult
Pages: 485
Date Scoot Read: December 2010
Source: Hardcover Library Book

Scoot's Rating: 10 – Amazing! Loved it. Read it now!

Synopsis (via Goodreads): The behemoth is the fiercest creature in the British navy. It can swallow enemy battleships with one bite. The Darwinists will need it, now that they are at war with the Clanker powers.

Deryn is a girl posing as a boy in the British Air Service, and Alek is the heir to an empire posing as a commoner. Finally together aboard the airship Leviathan, they hope to bring the war to a halt. But when disaster strikes the Leviathan's peacekeeping mission, they find themselves alone and hunted in enemy territory.

Alek and Deryn will need great skill, new allies, and brave hearts to face what's ahead.

Scoot’s Review:
I loved this book. It didn’t want to put it down and was sad when it ended! Picking up right where Leviathan left off we rejoin Alek & Deryn on their alternate-WWI adventures. Alek is still trying to save his kingdom and stop the war he feels responsible for, with the little remaining influence he has. Deryn is struggling with her loyalties to Britain and her feelings for Alek; who she really wants to tell the truth to (aka – she’s a girl) but is afraid of losing. With lots of creative Darwinist-beasties, Clanker machines and new alliances around every corner the action keeps a steady pace from start to finish. Alek & Deryn each grow and develop as they make some tough choices, and rely more on one another. The ‘minor’ characters don’t feel minor and you come to know them even better. The book has a blend of love and loss in it and if you enjoyed Leviathan then you will be happy with this continuation of the story. There was only one scene that felt off for me, but I won’t spoil it for you – overall an excellent read. The story is not yet complete and I look forward to reading Goliath when it comes out in September of 2011. I am still crossing my fingers that the story ends the way I am hoping!

Photobucket

4 comments:

Looksie Lovitz said...

I love this series!! I can't wait for Behemoth! :D

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

I gave these books to my nephew for Christmas - he's already read them and I've been begging him to send them to me! Argh!!

Jennifer said...

I've seen a so many mixed reviews for this one, I'm not sure what to think. But you like it... maybe I'll play it safe and get it from the library. :)

Jennifer (An Abundance of Books)

Unknown said...

I just read this book for the first time and loved it! Great review. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails